- We want to produce to best of the best application according to all possible "best practices" and recommendations (Code quality, tools, methods, Agility vs. micro-management, waterfall, real world constraints, ...),
- Things seem to be so easy, because we got presented trivial demos or we only considered "Proof Of Concepts".
- Taken into account real delivery and operation constraints :
- ITIL v3 (support, billing, delivery, licensing, ...), DevOps or DevCloud, legal aspects, IT security people, ...
- The IT industry is moving so fast that to beat competitors, many software companies are claiming they can address your problem and is only presenting you trivial cases and we tend to focus only on development aspects. .
- No budget beyond development, to address many operational topics!!
- No time left because delivery and operational aspects are more difficult than expected
- You don't know how to deliver on time because of unexpected purchases you have to do (production licensing, buy an alternative deployment tool, because the one considered only managed to deploy your easy trivial demo...),
- You forgot to consider backups, disaster recovery, SLA, maintenance, and retirement of the application (with the associated cost of the cleaning up all backups).
- Development, "true" test, deployment with real-world constraints
(true DNS, true SLL certification ...), monitoring of the production instance
This is to force you address topics that could be uncovered... and fail fast if you are stuck in front of a wall!
- Use Agility and DevOps / DevCloud to face real
"Think big, act small, fail fast; learn rapidly" (cf. Lean software development)
- highlights real-life issues
- show how to address them (if possible)
- or find a hack around.